Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Scarlett Johansson / ‘Pretty soon the roles you’re offered all become mothers’

Scarlett Johansson


Scarlett Johansson, 28: ‘Pretty soon the roles you’re offered all become mothers’


Scarlett Johansson has been named Esquire’s Sexiest Woman Alive for the second time. She was first granted the title in 2006, and she didn’t seem thrilled at all. During that interview, ScarJo was aghast to learn about a British poll claiming she had the best female bum. Her response: “There are plenty of girls with nicer butts. There are plenty of girls who work harder for nicer butts. What about my brain?What about my heart? What about my kidneys and my gallbladder?
Since then, ScarJo seemed to take great issue with being the “sexy” girl in so many movies. To her credit, she’s built up quite a career for herself. Scarlett surprised everyone by scooping up a Tony award, and she truly kicks butt as Marvel’s Black Widow. Scarlett definitely doesn’t need another “sexiest” title, but she does discuss why she accepted Esquire’s honor again. Of course she’s still got a great butt, and the journo who interviews her creepily writes, “I didn’t look at her ass. I don’t know that she wanted me to. Probably not. Surely not. In any case, I didn’t.” Weird, right? Let’s do some excerpts:
Scarlett Johansson
She’s preparing for a staycation: “I’m exhausted and this is my last day in the world. This is the last day, and this is the last piece of work. Then I’m taking a month-long vacation. But I’m not going anywhere, which just makes it more of a staycation. There’s luxury in being near home. When you spend a lot of time, like I do, just standing around and waiting, or being moved from place to place, every minute gets consumed by something someone else has set up for you. And it’s not like I’m always in a beautiful place wearing something gorgeous. I’ve stood around bogs wearing half a million dollars’ worth of jewelry, up to my knees in the rot, thinking how much more or less the place smelled like a sewer than it did the day before. And that is not what you’d call a problem exactly; it just wears you out. What I want to do right now is sleep late, read the paper. I’ve come to see that there’s something pretty great about having two hours to read.”
On accepting the title Sexiest Woman Alive title: “I’m the only woman to win it twice, right? You know, I gotta hustle. I’m a twenty-eight-year-old woman in the movie business, right? Pretty soon the roles you’re offered all become mothers. Then they just sort of stop. I have to hedge against that with work–theater, producing, this thing with Esquire. Sounds pretty bloodless, I guess.”
Does she like jealous men? “Look, I’m with a Frenchman. I think jealousy comes with the territory. But I’d rather be with someone who’s a little jealous than someone who’s never jealous. There’s something a little dead fish about them. A little bit depressing. It may not make sense, but you need to feel it a little. I know, irrational, right? I didn’t think I was a jealous person until I started dating my current, my one-and-only. I think maybe in the past I didn’t have the same kind of investment. Not that I liked my partner less, I just wasn’t capable of it or caring that much.”
Does she need to be wearing sunglasses inside? “I do. I have sensitive eyes. The light really gets me. There’s that. And, well, you know. I have to live behind them, because I’m a movie star.” She lifts an eyebrow, acknowledging the simple truth of it. It’s her trademark I-dare-you glance. Then, with some lip-pursing and a calculated shrug, she pinches her eye and mutters, just like some old guy making sandwiches in his kitchen apron, “Whatta you gonna do?”

Scarlett seems to have a firm hand upon her career, and she’s made some really smart moves in her choice of roles over the past few years. Who would have thought she’d have survived beyond the botched Nanny Diaries adaptation? Or beyond Woody Allen’s ScarJo trilogy of zaftig boobery. Now she’s an action star, and she’s got so many other roles in the chute too. Good for her.
This photoshoot really is quite lovely, isn’t it? It’s sensual without being too “in your face.” Esquire styled this shoot very well. Too bad about the slightly pervy journo.
Scarlett Johansson
Scarlett Johansson
Scarlett Johansson
Photos courtesy of Esquire

No comments:

Post a Comment